Who we are
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is a conservation organization with a mission to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by:
– conserving the world’s biological diversity;
– ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable;
– Promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
We conduct our conservation activities in partnership with government and non-government agencies.
WWF Uganda Country Office now seeks to recruit qualified, YOUNG and FRESH GRADUATES for the following Training position;
Position : Young Environmental Trainees (YETs)
Number of Positions : 14
Reports to : The Host institution and WWF’s Oil and Gas Project Officer
Location : The Albertine Rift Region
Duration of the Training: six (6) months
– Strengthens the capacity of the host Civil Society Organisation (CSO) in the petroleum development aspects in the Albertine Rift. Major focus will be Advocating for improved Governance in the petroleum sector and private sector engagement.
– Takes lead in fundraising for his/her Host CSO especially for petroleum/environmental related projects; with support from his/her mentor. He/she is also expected to take lead in developing appropriate work-plans, reporting on project activities, with support from the host organization mentor.
– Promotes and supports the work of the Albertine regional networks (Bunyoro Albertine Petroleum Network on Environmental Conservation, BAPENECO and Northern Albertine Network on Environment and Petroleum, NANEP).
– Engages the local government by contributing towards improved civil society capacity building and policy advocacy efforts related to environment conservation practice during energy development in the Albertine Rift;
– Takes lead in coordinating the host Institution’s work in promoting transparency, equitability and environmental sustainability in Uganda’s petroleum development energy development including developing appropriate work-plans, fundraising, reporting on project activities, with support from the host organization mentor.
– Preferably Bachelors degree (first or second class Honors) from a recognized university in one of the following disciplines: Environmental Science Management and Technology, Development Studies, Communication, Renewable Energy, Law, or other related studies;
– Demonstrated initiative in community development;
– Excellent commitment and ability to stay full time on the programme for the specified duration is a must;
– Result-oriented and have the ability to multi-task under limited supervision;
– Computer literacy, familiarity with GIS applications;
– Knowledge of natural resource management including review of EIAs and compliance monitoring is an added advantage.
Required skills and competences
– Passionate about nature conservation;
– Strong interpersonal and networking skills;
– Ability to implement community mobilization, awareness-raising, communication, advocacy, lobbying and capacity building (e.g. training, workshop facilitation and capacity building);
– Ability to work independently as well as in teams is desired;
– Excellent organization skills;
– Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Interacts with the Albertine Rift-based civil society organizations (CSOs), local governments, regional CSO networks on petroleum (BAPENECO, NANEP), Civil Society Coalition on Oil and Gas in Uganda (CSCO), private sector (oil companies and their contractors) line ministries including but not limited to Ministries of Energy and Mineral Development, Water and Environment, Tourism, Trade and Industry and related departments and agencies among others.
How to apply:
Candidates meeting the required qualifications, skills and experience should send a letter of application, academic documents, CV, telephone contacts and addresses of at least 2 referees to the People Development Manager – WWF UCO, Plot 2, Sturrock
Road, Kololo. P.O. Box 8758, Kampala or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 24th May 2013 by 5:00 PM.
1. This position is meant for Young and fresh graduates below the age of 26 years.
2. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted